Evie and Annalise Taller

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The seedling project

Now that I am offical Master Gardener Intern, I felt the need to stretch my green thumb and for the first time since grad school, start some plants from seeds. Growing corn and oats are pretty forgiving. You just slap some dirt on them and they pretty much grow without worry of sterilizing anything. I also had an undergrad who was in charge of watering so I didn't even have to worry about that. Here in the real world, I am my own undergrad--at least until my kids make it out of kindergarten. So for this grand experiment, I decided to plant some tomatoes (grape, yellow pear and romas), broccoli, basil (because mine never grows well from seed here in IN) and cilantro. I also had a bunch of ten cent zinnia seeds so I also planted a flat of those to fill in around the house with color. I allowed my undermost undergrad to plant some of the zinnia seeds. Or I should say over plant some zinnia seeds because there was an accident with the first batch.
Annalise takes her work very seriously. She told us that she wants to be a farmer when she grows up. She wants to have 12 chickens, 5 cows, 4 goats, 100 calves, and 1 rooster. Jim will be in charge of milking the cows, Evie is in charge of feed the chickens every morning, mommy will drive the tractor to plant seeds, and Annalise is in charge of the calves. she will need a lot of pastures and barns. We are starting small. Mom isn't exactly driving the tractor to plant these seeds.

The accident. I was bringing in the four flats of seeds when I tripped. Fortunately, the flat that went flying was the zinnia seeds. I ended up with a sore back again, a bruised up knee and a lot of dirt to vacuum up. We swept up the dirt and dumped it back in the flat. Annalise then randomly planted seeds. Surprisingly, they are doing pretty well!


The result as of Saturday,March 27. Jim humored me by setting up some shop lights over a table in the basement storage area. These are tomatoes. I thinned them out to a single plant per cell and they are doing pretty well. I will be adding to my seedlings when I plant two more flats of zucchini and summer squash for the Master Gardener plant sale. They only let the Interns grow the easy stuff. I hope I don't drop them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home